2010 DMA Response Rate Report
According to The Direct Marketing Association’s 2010 Response Rate Report, e-mail and direct mail remain effective for marketers. Response rates for B-to-B campaigns were generally higher than for B-to-C campaigns. Lead generation and high-end average sale campaigns also had higher response rates.
- Email to a house list averaged: a 19.47 percent open rate; a 6.64 percent click-through rate; a 1.73 percent conversion rate; with a bounce-back rate of 3.72 percent and an unsubscribe rate of 0.77 percent.
- Response rates for Direct Mail have held steady over the past four years. Letter-sized envelopes, for instance, had a response rate this year of 3.42 percent for a house list and 1.38 percent for a prospect list.
- Outbound telemarketing to prospects had the highest cost per order or lead of $309.25, but it also had the highest response rate from prospects of 6.16 percent. The highest response rate for a house list was also telephone, at 10.41 percent.
- Paid search had an average cost per click of $3.79, with a 3.81 percent conversion rate. The conversion rate (after click) of internet display advertisements was slightly higher at 4.43 percent.
- The response rate for a letter-sized direct mail piece was 3.42% for a house list and 1.38% for a prospect list. This compares with 2005 response rates of 3.33% and 1.71%, respectively.
- While telephone marketing had the highest response rate of any direct marketing mechanism, it also had the highest costs associated with it.
- Direct marketing accounted for 54.3% of all ad expenditures with marketers spending $149.3 billion on this channel.
Direct marketing allows you to improve your marketing effectiveness. Test your marketing, analyze response rates, and determine which campaigns bring the best results to your business. With a marketing partner, you can accurately measure the success of your marketing campaigns and enhance your direct mail and email marketing campaigns competently.
Esteemed Consulting provides powerful direct mail and email marketing campaigns. For more information, contact Esteemed at 858.780.9983.